Sunday, August 29, 2010

And Then a (Writing) Hero Comes Along


I like to say that when I read, I devour books, I go through them so fast. Every time I pick up a book only to put it down a few days later, completed, Eric is stunned to silence (if you know him, you understand the power of this).

Back in June, I came across "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater (pronounced steve-otter). I stumbled across a listing on Amazon as I was searching for something else to read. I think I killed the book in two days. As I reached the end and closed the book, I was reminded of the power of words and the magic that seeps out of a well crafted story. It reminded me of why I started writing.

So I wanted to give a shout out to Maggie for helping me to reconnect with the young girl inside me. To read a book through her eyes was an unexpected treat. Those dreams and expectations of my youth came back in such a rush, it was hard not to want to reach out and embrace her. I hope she is proud of what the stories I'm telling because her hand has always been on my writing. A long time ago, I promised her a story. And when it's published, I want to to devour the words and be consumed with the magic she helped create.

Please visit Maggie's website and check out the music she writes for her books. I'm particularly fond of the music and trailer for her latest novel "Linger." Enjoy! This woman is so talented, it's blows my mind. If I could achieve just a quarter of her success, I'd be one happy writer. She has inspired me to conjure the magic within myself and put on a show for the world.
The Wolves of Mercy Falls: A Stop Motion Trailer for Linger

No comments: