Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween is a Scream!

We spent Halloween in Alamogordo this year and, man, what an exhausting weekend.

Since I wasn't motivated to do the group/family costume this year, Ariel was the only one who dressed up. She has her whole life to be something cute or pretty, so I was going for something less typical.



And so, Ariel was a rock star! A punk rock star, actually.
Over the course of Halloween weekend, she got to wear her costume three times. Now that's what I'm talking about.
Thursday: Eric carved the pumpkin we picked out a few days earlier. We wanted Ariel to help with the gutting process, but as soon as she touched the slimy, stringy innards, she gagged so hard, she nearly puked. Awesome. Daddy went solo on the carving this year and he did a mighty fine job.

Friday: Eric, Ariel, and I went to downtown Alamogordo for trick-or-treat. The participating businesses invite the kids to the door for their goodies and Mom and Dad get to scope out some shopping. The first stop we made, Ariel tried to say "trick-or-treat" and we did manage a thank you out of her. But after that, it was all silent staring. Well, who doesn't like the strong but silent rock star type?
loot bag #1
Saturday: We headed to "Zoo Boo" at the Alameda Park Zoo. It absolutely was a zoo that had nothing to do with the animals. The line to get in was so long, it looped back on itself. Ahhh! I entered Ariel in her first costume contest in the "Most Unique" category. There was a cute category, but that was over saturated with 110+ entrants! She didn't place, but seemed to have a good time on stage. I don't remember what costumes bet her out, but one of them for sure was an astronaut. I now have some neat ideas for future costumes. One of my personal costume highlights was a kid dressed as a toy machine. Like one of those filled with stuffed animals you have to try to get with the metal claw. Yeah, and stupid me didn't get a picture. There was a winner's light on top, money in the shoot, and an actual claw hanging from the ceiling of the box this boy was in. Costuming genius.
Saturday night: My mom and I took Ariel for another round of trick-or-treat in the mall. Our little rock star was quite content to just run around the mall looking cute. Ariel had no interest in begging for candy. Every time I took her hand for the trick-or-treat ritual, she would fuss and try to shake my hand loose. It could have been a lot more fun if we had taken naps after the zoo. But when the princess boycotts her nap, nobody sleeps.
loot bag #2
Sunday: Ariel put the stickers on her pumpkin she picked out at the pumpkin patch. We left it outside to hang with Big Jack so the passing trick or treaters could see her artistic abilities. We left the neighborhood canvas to the professionals and stayed inside with the lights off. Or so I thought.

One of my mom's friends asked if Ariel wanted to trick-or-treat with her granddaughter, Riley. I just couldn't say no to Riley, so we dressed Ariel up in a Halloween theme and set out. We went to Bethel Baptist Church for their "Trunk-or-Treat" event. This is where cars are lined up in a semi-circle, with their trunks open, full of candy. You still have to say the magic words, but you definitely get a bag full of sugar with minimal walking.
Riley as "Dora" and Ariel as "Cute"
Ariel had a great nap today, so going out was so much better. She waved or clapped her hands in thanks whenever candy was placed in her bag. But the highlight of her evening was the helium balloon she got. Despite all the candy, we probably could have got the balloon and gone home. Even though I planned on being in my pj's all day, it was nice to go out for once last Halloween hooray.
loot bag #3
Hope you all had a wonderfully scary/fun/awesome/safe Halloween!

No comments: