365 days, 52 weeks, 12 months, no matter how you count it, everything adds up to one year of life for our little angel. And with such a momentous occasion, a party is a must do. We held Ariel's first birthday party at the Aurora History Museum. We rented the space for a great price and I didn't have to clean my house. Hooray! The theme of the party was ladybugs with red, black, and white as the major color players.
I love hosting parties. Blame on the DNA. Seriously. But in my old age, I'm realizing that I don't have to be super-crazy-person and do everything myself. Well old habits die hard. I spent over three hours on cupcakes alone. Ouch. The menu consisted of sparkling punch, fruit salad, garlic bread, garden salad, and three kinds of freshly made pasta (classic mac-n-cheese, traditional spaghetti with meat sauce, and chicken... I enlisted kitchen slaves, I mean elves, but it was the kind of help that wasn't so helpful. Next time I throw a party, we are having it catered.
Because of time mismanagement in the kitchen, we (me and the food) arrived a good 45 minutes late. A party foul for sure. But everything went well and I thank all of our guests for being so incredibly patient with my madness.
Being an independent sort of girl, Ariel decided to boycott her nap for the sake of curiosity. So by the time we got to the birthday cupcakes, she was a crying mess. After getting her in the high chair, we all started to sing "Happy Birthday" which immediately got her attention. She went from crying to awe in 3 seconds. It was pretty funny to see. She enjoyed her frosted cupcake and all of the attention that came with being the guest of honor.
Ariel was really into the baby babble. She was constantly making so much noise, I thought that at any second she would burst out into a full monologue. Alas, this was not the case, but she made us smile. Four days before her actual birthday, she started walking. She tottered to her feet and just went for it. Ariel is so driven it makes me wonder who she gets that from. She also learned to navigate the stairs, but only in the upward direction.
The past 12 months has been a time of frustration, anxiety, and constant worry; the joys, surprises and the endless love that can only come from God. Eric and I wear our battle scars proudly knowing that we truly have been blessed.




No comments:
Post a Comment