Last night, Eric and I had an impromptu date night. We went out for pizza and snuggled up close (as close as we could get with Ariel between us) and sat down for Jim Henson's "The Dark Crystal." Yes, this is a feature film from the guy who brought us "The Muppets." Anyway, Eric had never seen TDC and last time I saw it, I think I was eight.I was surprised at how good my memory was. While I'm more aware of the dialogue, the images are what were burned into my memory. At the time (the early 80's), the movie received mixed criticisms. I personally believe that Henson was a freaking genius. The entire movie was cast with his puppets/marionettes. There was not one human cast member. Period. While CGI was still a long way away, this movie is a classic as far as traditional (and non-traditional) film-making went. I love it. Eric on the other hand . . .thought it was alright.
If you get a chance to see it (or see it again), take it for what it is. But being a fantasy writer, I can truly appreciate the imagination and artistry that went into this movie.
Through a little web surfing, I discovered that a sequel is in the works. "The Power of the Crystal" is due to come out sometime in 2011. Expect a heavy hand in the CGI department.
1 comment:
Hooray for 80's fantasy! I have to agree with Eric though. I found the Dark Crystal to be an alright movie. I actually liked Labyrinth a lot better. I do agree that Jim Henson was a genius. The man definitely had vision and imagination which is sorely lacking in today's movies and fantasies.
P.S. I'm glad that you two enjoyed your impromptu date!
Post a Comment