Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ketchup, please (but hold the mustard)

So the month of July has come and gone and I'm just now getting around to writing about it. Sorry folks, I know you're paying good money for this. So let's start at the beginning.

Ariel's first Independence Day was thankfully marked with cool weather. Every year, our subdivision hosts a celebration which includes a parade and bbq. Eric and Ariel walked in the parade, while Pazu and I took some amateurish pictures. Everyone thought Ariel was cute, and who could blame them! She's darling. Overall, we had a good time (Ariel slept through most of it). Next year, I think we'll get all decked out and decorated and actually compete for an award. We'll see.

Towards the end of July, I went home to Alamogordo. It was a great two-for-one deal as Ariel and I got to spend time with the 'rents and I was asked to judge a Miss America local pageant. In the local pageant, a girl or two is crowned and then competes for Miss New Mexico next June. Whoever wins then goes on to compete at Miss America. I actually competed for Miss NM back in 2003. While I didn't win (nor did I place in the top 10) I gave everything I had, so there are no regrets. Disappointments, but not regret.
Ariel with the Johnson Family Storytime with G-ma Cuddles with Crystal
So I drove the 8 hrs home with baby and puppy in tow. I was by myself and man I will never do this again. I failed to do a lot of planning, which created quite the adventure for me. Ariel did a lot of sleeping, Mommy did a lot of driving and Pazu did a lot of whining. What usually takes 8 hrs took me 10 and when someone had to go to the bathroom, we all went. Pazu was on the leash, Ariel was in the harness and Mom was trying to coordinated everything. I'll tell you that it was very interesting going to the bathroom with an infant strapped to your chest. You really only have time to pee, which sometimes is quite unfortunate. The one good thing was that Ariel started reaching and grasping at stuff on this trip. It was really cool to witness as she tried to put her car seat strap in her mouth.
Back to the pageant. It was interesting being on the judging side of things. It really was an inside scoop on how the whole thing goes down. But despite your best effort to judge fairly and make sure you do what you're supposed to, you still can't control the outcome (there are a total of 5 judges on the panel). It felt like being a contestant all over again. Sigh.
Ariel now is smiling, laughing, and "talking" quite a bit. She and Eric have the greatest time with each other in the morning. I get a little jealous as she saves the best for Daddy. But I get to see everything first, so I guess it evens out.

So there's July, wrapped up and ready to go.

No comments: