September 2010: Banned Book Week I've always heard of books being on the "banned" list, but I never really knew what that meant. Until now.
Banned or challenged books are works that certain groups or individuals feel should be censored and/or made unavailable to the general public. Mostly they feel that the censorship will protect those who have impressionable minds. "Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling made the list for witchcraft (a church in Alamo actually burned this book) and "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway was banned for homosexual suggestion.
Small towns have a bad reputation for being closed minded, so I was pleasantly surprised that the Friends of the Library were hosting a series of events during the annual celebration of freedom of speech, freedom to read, aka Banned Book Week (always the last week in September).
On Tuesday, the community college hosted a read-aloud-session where everyone was encouraged to read aloud from their favorite banned book. I totally missed this, but I heard it was good. On Friday, the library is having a community viewing of "The Lovely Bones," based on the 2002 book by Alice Sebold. This was banned/challenged for content inappropriate for its age group.
On Wednesday, the FOL held a Banned Book Week Costume Gala. Participants were encouraged to dress up as a character from their favorite banned book.
How could I pass up an opportunity to dress up? I literally put my costume together in an hour (with help from mom).
I portrayed “Offred” from “The Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood. This feminist dystopia novel was required reading in my AP English class in 1998. It was placed on the “list” in 1999 or 2000. I chose it because the costume was super easy to do and it is a book that has stuck with me all these years. A well crafted piece about freedoms lost and a new age of oppression. It was banned/challenged for violence against women and sexual content.
There were 20 people who showed up, with half of us in costume. I didn’t know there was going to be a contest, but it was a bonus! Especially when you win “Best in Show” or Best overall Representation. I'm an award winning poodle. I know, way cool. And you thought my talents were only for writing. I had my first pick of prizes and of course chose a gift card to the local book store. Predictable, I know. I also made the paper. Here is the link to the article. http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_16222379
Regardless of close minded idiots who think they know better than us, those of us with common sense can think critically about the issues tackled in the banned/challenged literature, and make up our own minds.
I enjoyed participating in this week of events. In honor of reading from the list of banned books, I chose to read “Speak” (1999) by Laurie Halse Anderson. It is currently being challenged for pornography. Some stupid idiot thinks that a tragic and horrible rape is pornographic. (I roll my eyes). It was a well written piece, and surprisingly funny, given the topic.
I enjoyed participating in this week of events. In honor of reading from the list of banned books, I chose to read “Speak” (1999) by Laurie Halse Anderson. It is currently being challenged for pornography. Some stupid idiot thinks that a tragic and horrible rape is pornographic. (I roll my eyes). It was a well written piece, and surprisingly funny, given the topic.
Perhaps next year, you'll be inspired to step outside your comfort zone and participate in Banned Book Week.
1 comment:
Cool costume!
I've actually read quite a few banned books (before I even knew they were banned). I really tried to get into the Handmaid's Tale but it just didn't do it for me and I've been put off from Margaret Atwood ever since.
It sounds like a very interesting event that took place and congratulations on making the paper.
Post a Comment