Saturday, July 26, 2008

Buyer Beware

OK kids, here is one of my Rants of Reality (based on personal experiences). There is no jazzy music, so make up a your own tune as you read.

Here is what I learned the other day:
1) if you're short, look up occasionally
2) read the fine print
3) learn to speak Spanish

OK, here's the accompanying explanation. Eric and I decided on our Halloween costumes (which will be revealed at a later date), so I thought that I would go out and see if I could start collecting some items we would need. I ended up at a thrift store, as I'm trying to cut corners. I found a dress that I thought would work for my costume, but after I got it home, the darn thing wouldn't zip. Rats. So I went back to the store to exchange it and as I walked through the doors, I saw a HUGE sign hanging over head that said "No exchanges, no refunds. All sales final." Double rats. Who does that at a second hand store? There is so much that could be wrong with things, but I'm stuck with it, whether it works/fits or not? That's pretty shady.


I went home and called the store to speak to a manger about my situation. I got a lowly supervisor who was quite rude on the phone. I explained my situation and she said, "Our policy is . . . blah, blah." I wanted her to fix the problem/offer a solution, not quote the stupid policy. anyway, she said that she would let me do an exchange. Great. I hustle my booty back down to the store for the 3rd time today(I was doing a lot of running around). I asked for the woman I spoke to and she acted like we never had a conversation. She didn't know who I was. So she asked another supervisor over and I had to explain things to her as well. Then they started talking in Spanish which I find rude and offensive, especially in front of people who don't speak the language. I got my store credit and got the heck out.


I will never go this store, EVER again! The employees were rude, their return policy was hanging from the ceiling, which is great if your 6 ft tall. They should also post notices at the registers for assurance. If I had seen the signs as I walked in, I would have walked right back out. It's not a friendly way to do business. Afterwards, I come to find out they had a fitting room, that was conveniently unmarked at the front of the store. Could have saved myself a lot of hassle, had I know it existed.


What a horrible experience. Learn from my mistake. Do not repeat.

No comments: