Thursday, January 27, 2011

An Exercise in Research & Reflection: Disney Royalty


As we embark on our journey on all things princess, let’s nibble on a few points to get the pondering juices flowing.


Fairytales are a subgenre of the traditional folktales that were verbally passed down through the generations. They date back to ancient Egypt!

Charles Perrault was the first person to record fairy tales, with the Brothers Grimm making fairy tales their own genre. In the late 17th century, Madame d'Aulnoy invented the term conte de fée, or fairy tale (en.wikipedia.org).

And there is no escape from these stories, like it or not. It would be like trying to cut out the gene that makes up the color of your eyes. Other than the commercial cash-cows that they have become, fairy tales do serve a purpose and we can’t dismiss the moral and magical influences they have on us.

These subliminal, and sometimes, blatant messages are more geared towards girls than boys. The ideas of the saving acts of prince charming, the transforming power of love, and the magic of that first kiss seem to wedge themselves between that desire to be the next great athlete, that selfless doctor, or mother of the year. I don’t think that most women really grow out of those romantic notions, no matter how old they admit to being. Take for example, the over-hyped process of finding the perfect wedding dress.

I’ve watched enough wedding shows to see how the salespeople go for the kill. “How do you feel about this dress? Does it make you feel like princess?” Aha! There it is. How could a starry-eyed, bride-to-be not want to drop a couple thousand dollars to become a princess for a day? It’s what she’s been dreaming about since she was a girl (and marketed to since she was two years old). Along with that is the fairy tale wedding at Cinderella’s castle and the brides makes her grand entrance by arriving via pumpkin coach. It’s no wonder the wedding industry makes a gazillion-million dollars every year (I’m estimating here). What kind of price tag does that magic come with? I suppose it depends on how deep your prince’s pockets are. And yes, we shall envy Kate Middleton, the commoner who gets to become a princess for real. Wonder how she really feels about that? Dream come true or nightmare in the wings?

Disney wised up to all this wedding hoo-ha and in 2010, debuted their Disney Fairytale Weddings Bridal Collection. This features dresses based on the personalities of six of the ten princesses: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora/Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Jasmine, and Belle. Now I was a girl who was obsessed with The Little Mermaid. Had this line been available when Eric and I were married, I can’t say that I wouldn’t have looked at a dress or two.

The thought of being a princess involved in a romantic love story with a handsome prince is what sells romance novels. On the extreme side of royalty spectrum, there are woman who are treated all their lives as little princesses and expect the world to do the same. Has anyone ever seen an episode of Bridezillas? Case in point. While I never want to raise or be around a spoiled, self-centered, brat, pretending to be a princess for a few hours will not hurt anyone. My cousins and I made- believe we were Autobots, and we turned out ok.

Peggy Orenstein, an author and contributing writer for the New York Times Magazine, had a different idea on the subject. In her article, What’s Wrong with Cinderella, she voices her concern over the negative influence that the Disney royals have on the psychological development on young girls. While she highlights some great points, I feel that ultimately it is the parents’ responsibility to keep things in check.

Now onto your official disclaimer: The thoughts and opinions expressed in the analysis of the “Big 10,” are merely the musings of one writer. They are meant to dig a little deeper into some ideas that are grossly glossed over or otherwise dismissed completely. And provide a little humor on the side. Comments are encouraged and I will answer back in the comments area, so check back if you post a question. Certainly we can have a discussion and still be friends afterwards.

Now onto our first born princess: Snow White.

No comments: