Sunday, December 6, 2009

Fire in the Hole

Let me just start by saying, that I consider myself a competent, knowledgeable, and able-bodied home cook. So you can imagine my astonishment when I inadvertently tried to burn down the kitchen.

Here's the story: For our wedding, Eric and I received a wok as a gift. I'm a huge fan of Asian food and the wok soon became my favorite piece of kitchen cookware. However, I damaged the finish the first time I used it, because, like a dummy, I didn't read the cleaning directions. Oh well, I thought. The thing still works. This simple fact comes into play later.

Last night, I prepping dinner for a chicken and cashew stir-fry. While dredging the chicken in flour, I have the wok heating. After awhile, I notice black flakes in the bottom of the pan. I just attributed this to damaged interior. So I get my trusty oil and put in my hot pan (as instructed by the recipe). I turn to get my chicken, when I hear a "whoosh." I screamed as I was suddenly cooking a wok full fire. Now this is one of those times when having a good swear word would be handy and aptly appropriate. Then the scenario turned into a scene from a movie. Where one person is in the midst of chaos, while another party is oblivious to the carnage. I.e. . .

Eric: Nicole, is everything ok?

Nicole: (glancing between fire and back door, fire and sink) Umm, yeah.

Eric: You cut yourself did you?

Nicole: No (watches in panic-stricken awe as the ventilation hood gets singed and hopes they don't end up on the evening news)

Eric: Are you burning the food?

Nicole: Not exactly (turns for the fire extinguisher)

Eric: But you're ok.

Nicole: Uh huh (ready to pull the pin, when flames suddenly die)

Smoke alarm goes off


Here's what I think happened. I think the wok was TOO hot and this started to flake the damaged non-stick finish. When I put the oil in the pot, the flakes started to cook at a rapid rate and the excess heat caught the oil on fire in spectacular fashion.
Pride aside, everyone is ok. It took thirty minutes of open doors and fans to get he smoke out of the house. Eric said I did it on purpose to get a new wok (well, I actually want a new kitchen). I thought about asking Santa for a new one. But for the safety of all parties involved, perhaps he should just skip this one on my list.
Side note: Somehow, this picture looks almost exactly like my kitchen at the height of chaos. There has to be something said about flies on the wall.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

How are there NO comments on this yet?! That is classic and totally hilarious.