
So, as part of my journey to become a licensed teacher, I alsp applied to the Denver Teaching Fellows in conjunction with my application to Douglas County. Today was the big interview event. Here was our schedule:
9-9:20 am Introductions
9:20-10:40 am Sample Teaching Sessions (group)
5 minute break
10:45-11:30 am Writing Sample and Group Discussion
5 minute break
11:35-12 pm Program Overview
12-3 pm Personal Interviews (each interview is 30 minutes)
There were probably 30-40 canidates interviewing. We all were interviewing for hard to place subjects (math, science, special education and early childhood education) in low income Denver neighborhoods. There were people that flew in from New Jersey and Washington state. We were broken into groups and shuffled away. In our groups, we taught a 5 minute lesson on any topic for any grade level (we prepared this ahead of time). I did my sample on the Haiku poem for 11th grade. I totally nailed it and got a lot of positive feedback from other canidates. It was so much fun being up there.
Then came the writing sample and group discussion based on a provided scenario. Since I'm pretty efficient at writing, the writing sample was a piece of cake. The discussion was irritating. It is a given that one or two people will monopolize the conversation and make sure you know where your place is. I made two contributions and called it good.
Later, in my personal interview, I was asked why I didn't contribute more. I'm an observer and when I speak, it's because I have a point or idea to contribute. I'm not going run my mouth for the sake of hearing my own voice. My personal interview when well, but I did run into some sticky areas. All I can do is put it in God's hands. I'll let you know in two weeks when they notify the lucky canidates.
9-9:20 am Introductions
9:20-10:40 am Sample Teaching Sessions (group)
5 minute break
10:45-11:30 am Writing Sample and Group Discussion
5 minute break
11:35-12 pm Program Overview
12-3 pm Personal Interviews (each interview is 30 minutes)
There were probably 30-40 canidates interviewing. We all were interviewing for hard to place subjects (math, science, special education and early childhood education) in low income Denver neighborhoods. There were people that flew in from New Jersey and Washington state. We were broken into groups and shuffled away. In our groups, we taught a 5 minute lesson on any topic for any grade level (we prepared this ahead of time). I did my sample on the Haiku poem for 11th grade. I totally nailed it and got a lot of positive feedback from other canidates. It was so much fun being up there.
Then came the writing sample and group discussion based on a provided scenario. Since I'm pretty efficient at writing, the writing sample was a piece of cake. The discussion was irritating. It is a given that one or two people will monopolize the conversation and make sure you know where your place is. I made two contributions and called it good.
Later, in my personal interview, I was asked why I didn't contribute more. I'm an observer and when I speak, it's because I have a point or idea to contribute. I'm not going run my mouth for the sake of hearing my own voice. My personal interview when well, but I did run into some sticky areas. All I can do is put it in God's hands. I'll let you know in two weeks when they notify the lucky canidates.
No comments:
Post a Comment