To celebrate the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the Nintendo Wii, GameStop sponsored a Smash Bros. tournament. The grand prize includes a LCD flat screen TV, a Wii console with accessories and $5,ooo.
Eric and I signed up during the day and entered our names in the offical bracket around 10:30 pm. We were surrounded by youngins (majority age range 14-18). We were one of the oldest contestants, but luckily, we fit right in. Each round was a 60 sec. knock down, drag out. Each contestants characters were randomized by the computer. Eric's main goal was to beat at least one person. My unrealistic goal, was to make the top 5.
Here is how it all fell apart. We were using a Wii with a Wii nunchuck and Wii remote controller. It was like they gave me choptsticks to eat with. And the end results would have been the same.
Eric was called first, playing under the name Jiro. He was selected to battle as Princess Peach (aww, how pretty). He got lucky. The other guy got Warrio, who is very hard to control, which led to him self destructing (SD) three times. Eric attained his goal.
I was called awhile later. I played as Nico and was given Pikachu, a character I'm familiar with. However, I was not given time to review the button controls and had to fend for myself. I had some lofty ambitions, since I was the only girl, and I am writing about a female video game champion. Anyway, the level we played on was flat (the other guy was Dr. Mario). Easy enough. Then the middle fell out. The good Dr. jumped to the other side of the screen in a safe zone. I was exactly in the same positon on the other side. Then the crowd started to chant, "Jump, jump,jump...." Well I'm not one for getting a win like a pacifist coward. So I tried to jump the divide and collected my first SD. Then my second happened shortly afterward. Hard to believe, but the other guy won.
I realize that in 60 sec., anything can happen and I should walk away a gracious loser. If you really know me, then I know your laughing.
In Eric's second round, he squared off against MetaKnight (from the Kirby series). Eric lost in a fair fight. We watched the rest of the tournament, admiring the awesome graphics and seeing lost and missing Nintendo players (ie Pit, from Kid Icarus). The top four characters of the tournament were 2 MetaKnights, Pit, and of course my handsome Link. Note, all these guys have swords. Actual swords, get your mind out of the gutter.
In Eric's second round, he squared off against MetaKnight (from the Kirby series). Eric lost in a fair fight. We watched the rest of the tournament, admiring the awesome graphics and seeing lost and missing Nintendo players (ie Pit, from Kid Icarus). The top four characters of the tournament were 2 MetaKnights, Pit, and of course my handsome Link. Note, all these guys have swords. Actual swords, get your mind out of the gutter.
So, we need a Wii! Just so we can play this killer game. We are currently accepting donations :0)






No comments:
Post a Comment