Sunday, March 28, 2010

Adventures in Tofuland


I have to admit that when it comes to food, I'm a little ADD. I love food and the cooking process to a fault. I tend to get bored with it quickly, which leaves me to experiment on my poor, unsuspecting husband. But honestly, he's a human garbage disposal, so I guess it's a win-win.
Of all the things that I have tried for the first time, there is one ingredient that never ceases to make me crinkle my nose.
Tofu.
Just writing the word makes me scowl. But in the interest of cooking science, I set my reluctance aside and bought a package of firm tofu. In all fairness it was 99 cents. If things didn't work out, then I wouldn't be out a ton of money. Now if they would only bottle time and put IT on sale so I could stock up . . .
Anyway, I'm headed on a tangent, sorry.
I have this great stir-fry book which obviously features tofu dishes. I decided on a citrus pineapple entree. Now, I know that tofu absorbs the flavors of any dish it's cooked in, but as we sat down to eat our first bit, I was overwhelmingly . . . disappointed.
marinating tofu watches half the batch get golden
everyone getting crispy
Not that I expected much, but man was it bland. And it felt like there was no substance to it. I think I ate two heaping bowls and still had this feeling of being hungry. I honestly don't know how vegetarians and vegans eat tofu and survive. Perhaps I'm did something wrong (like not make rice to go with it), but more power to those people. I'm not about to give up my carnivore status for soy products.
And so our adventure in Tofuland was quite disenchanting I think I will make this dish again, but definitely substitute the tofu for shrimp.
tada!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

If it's any consolation it looked really good even if it didn't taste like much.

CLH said...

The only thing I ever made with tofu that was good was Tofu brownies. Yes, brownies. The recipe was in a Yoga magazine I had, and it was basically soft tofu, cocoa, some flour, I think... whatever it was, it was GOOD! But I had to make it stealthily because if anyone knew I used tofu, no one would eat it! And they all ate it and loved it!