Sunday, May 10, 2009

An All-Star Is Born

Sage City and the Greene Team All-Stars are pleased to announce the signing of their new shortstop.

Ariel Madison Greene


Signing Date: Wednesday, May 6
Signing Time: 10:03 am
Height: 19 inches
Weight: 5lbs, 14 oz
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
As part of the big announcement, the Sage City Sentinel offers this play-by-play birth report provided by All-Star captain, Nicole.

I woke up around 2:30 am Wednesday morning to make my nightly visit to the bathroom. I noticed that my underpants were wet. Could my water have broken? As I contemplated this, I was hit with a serious contraction. These weren't like the Braxton-Hicks I experienced earlier that day. I actually had to breathe through this one. Ok, I thought it was a fluke. Yeah right. I spent the next hour breathing through eight more contractions. I woke Eric to let him know what was going on. We timed them and after fifteen minutes, called the hospital. It was time to make our trek to the land of medical professionals.

By this time, I was really starting to hurt, but things really took a turn for the worse after I strapped myself into the car. The contractions were coming hard and heavy and I wasn't sure if I would be able to stick with Birth Plan A: all natural, no epidural.
We made it to the Labor and Delivery ward around 5 am. I did my best to sit still as the nurse checked my cervix. I was already dilated 7 cm! Holy cats, Batman! That is virtually unheard of with first time pregnancies (most moms show up around 4-5 cm). This is when I bit the bullet and asked for the epidural. Things got a little fuzzy at this point, as the pain I was experiencing has blocked some of my trip to my L&D room. I did puke all over myself, so clearly I remember something.

It took about an hour for the anaesthesiologist to arrive. I knew I was getting close to missing my window of opportunity and I almost started to panic. Fortunately, it was not too late. I received my drugs around 6:30 am and despite my best intentions to go sans drugs, this was the best decision I could have made. As I continued to labor, I watched my contractions on the monitor. The were about 90 seconds in duration and about 30-45 seconds apart. Yikes. There would have been no way I could have dealt with that.
I was able to rest a little bit and I started pushing around 9:40 am. At 10:03 am, our little angel entered the world after 7.5 hours of labor. Eric was great through the entire ordeal and I officially give him the Labor Coach of the Year award.

Things have been a whirlwind since coming home, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Ariel is great and has already shown us how nosey she is and how much she enjoys her sleep (blame that last part on Eric). We send a special thank you to all who have prayed for us and for the health of our family. May God bless you always.

5 comments:

Virginia Leathers said...

Happy Mother's Day and congrats to you on Eric! She is a cutie.

*VICKI* said...

Yay for Baby Ariel! Yay for a pretty quick labor! Yay for healthy baby and momma. Yay that I'm offically an Aunt. And Yay that I finally have a name and a face to put it with. Wow, that's a lot of things to be excited about, but the biggest thing of all is that I get to see Ariel in 2 weeks and 6 days!!!!!!

Happy 1st Mothers Day!

Lauretta said...

Congratulations! I've been checking a few times today and was so excited to see the news of Ariel's birth!! So very happy for all- parents, grandparents and auntie!! She is a real cutie- we'll be expecting lots of pictures soon. Take care and enjoy all these special moments!! Hugs and Kisses to Ariel Madison !! Much love, the Cebula's

Teresa said...

Congrats! She looks healthy and you all look very happy! That is awesome!

Jennifer said...

What a pretty little cousin. She's an absolute doll baby. Congratulations Nicole and Eric.