Thursday, September 25, 2008

Here's the wind up and the pitch

Last Saturday, I went to my first writer's conference in Castle Rock. There were tons of people there, mostly from the Denver metro area. I could go on and on about the sessions I attended and the keynote speaker, but that would be boring to "normal" people. What I really want to tell you about is my meeting with a literary agent.

Now I signed up to meet with this agent out of New York. To prepare for this meeting, I first had to have a "pitch" and not one with a baseball. This is the opportunity to sell your baby to a complete stranger. A little nerve wracking. I had a good hook, so I just winged the rest of the presentation. Then I had to prepare a one page synopsis of the novel. I don't think Houdini could have pulled this off. I was sick all week, so I wasn't motivated to work on the thing during the week, so Friday night I'm pulling a college-all nighter. By the time I had reached the third chapter, the page was already half full. Uh-oh. I still had 20 chapters to go. So instead of killing myself, I just wrote until I was done. It was a mess. Thankfully the agent didn't want it. He wouldn't have been impressed.

What did impress him though, was my story. He seemed very excited about my approach to gaming and video games and asked me to send a formal submission to his office. Woo hoo! It was a good interview and I managed to make him laugh (always a good sign). Now I have to get off my butt and knock the socks off this guy.
*btw this picture is of Olympic softball player Jennie Finch. Its a pretty cool pic.